Back to School, Back to CSEA
A new school year is starting, and we’re all busy getting schools up and running and students settled in and ready to learn. There’s a lot of activity going on, but don’t forget to reacquaint yourself with CSEA and all the rights and benefits you have as a union member. Here is a short list of things to remember as we begin the new year:
- Know your contract: Be sure to have a copy of our collective bargaining agreement with the employer, or at least know how to access it online. All your rights and benefits negotiated by CSEA are outlined in the contract. If you have questions about any specific sections in the contract, ask a union steward or chapter president.
- Meet your site reps and stewards: Site Representatives are CSEA volunteer members who can help answer any questions you have about your CSEA rights and benefits. If they don’t have the answer, they can refer you to the appropriate chapter officers or union staff. Union stewards go through an extensive training program to gain knowledge and skills so they can protect your rights if they are violated under the contract.
- Attend a chapter meeting: CSEA is a member-governed union, and the easiest way to participate in our democracy is to attend a chapter meeting. Not only are these meetings open to all members, but all members are encouraged to attend. This is also a good place to get to know the chapter executive board.
- Attend a CSEA training: From Know Your Rights workshops to Pre-Retirement Seminars and everything in between, CSEA offers a wide range of training opportunities to members. Grow your career and make the most of your current skills with CSEA’s M&O Academy or Paraeducator Conference, as well as a wide variety of on-demand training opportunities.
- Save some money: CSEA’s Member Benefits program offers dozens of great money-saving discounts. Apply for scholarships and grants, get reduced-rate mortgages and other financial services, plus choose from our many member-only insurance programs. Don’t forget to take advantage of all our discount tickets to theme parks, movie theaters and other family fun.
- Get involved: We rely on members like you to step forward and contribute new ideas and new energy. There are many ways you can get involved with CSEA. So, please join us at a chapter meeting to find out what kind of help is needed and how you can play a bigger role on the CSEA team.